10 Ways to Awaken Your Inner Artist
Whether you’re a scientist, chemist, or an artist, creativity exists in all of us. The art we enjoy such as a song, a dance, or a beautiful sculpture is the final result of a creative process that flows through every human being. This process starts on the inside with imaginative thoughts, feelings and desires. These are the building blocks of art. We all have them and it’s what makes every one of us an artist. As children we played with imaginary friends. We colored with our fellow artists, and we enjoyed expressing ourselves through dancing and drawing. Children are bursting at the seams with creative flow. Unfortunately, as we grow up, that creative flow is stifled and it becomes increasingly difficult to exercise the creative muscle. After a while, we tend to forget we ever had it. Then we ask ourselves questions like, “Why can’t I paint like that or make music like that?” The question is not whether or not you are an artist. The question is, how do you awaken your artistry?
Follow these 10 steps to awaken your inner artist.
1. Break up the monotony. Are you stuck in a rut? Give yourself a chance to rejuvenate by taking a break from work or school. Remove yourself from stress triggers. Hike on a nature trail or treat yourself to a spa. These activities will relax your brain and give you room to process unresolved feelings and emotions. It will also open pathways to revelation and enlightenment.
2. Remember to breathe. Take a few cleansing breaths throughout your day. Let your lungs fill completely with air and then exhale. Practice doing this multiple times. Use this time to release negative thoughts and let your mind meditate on positive thoughts. This will help you think with clarity.
3. Get healthy. Release toxins from your body through fasting, detoxing and exercise. Additionally, take an inventory of the people around you. Plan on minimizing the roles of toxic people in your life. Toxins weigh you down and prevent you from being free and thinking freely.
4. Revist your life goals. Are you doing what you want? Why or why not? Asses where you are in life and where you want to go. What hobbies are you currently pursuing? What hobbies would you like to pursue? Are you being fulfilled? If not, what can you do to make that happen? Answers to these questions can help you redefine how much your art means to you and why it’s important.
5. Take an art class. It doesn’t have to be anything specific. Take the class to jumpstart your creativity. There are all kinds of things you can do like jewelry making, or painting and pottery. What about a dance class? Just do something to spark the creative side in you.
Click here for the last 5 Ways to Awaken Your Inner Artist Part II.