Welcome to Anitra Jay's Electronic Press Kit. Thank you for visiting! The information below is a listing of videos, music, photos, a bio and more to aid in your decision making process. Anitra Jay hopes to work with you real soon. Should you need more information or have follow-up questions, contact Anitra Jay or her team here.
Anitra Jay is an acoustic soul singer-songwriter based in Houston, TX. With a recent musical feature on HGTV's Tiny House Hunters, Anitra Jay presents a whimsically soulful all-caution-to-the-wind interpretation of music. Born and raised in New Orleans, Anitra's vocals highlight her roots in Jazz, Soul, and Gospel. With a musical style often compared to India.Arie and Chrisette Michele, Anitra Jay offers a sweet down-to-earth blend of soul and poetry with modern sensibilities. Her personality and expert improvisational skills set her performances square between the raw edge of improv comedy and sultry soaked soul. She effortlessly combines soul-catching melodies with tales of real life experiences wrought with motivational messages that leave the listener entertained, inspired, and ready to take on the world. She is currently working on her fourth album, a whimsical take on life called "Work in Progress." (FOR AN EXTENDED BIO, CLICK HERE)
Work in Progress - UPCOMING Full Length Album
A collection of new songs from Anitra's Free Song a Month Project. Soulful Vocals and Acoustic Meanderings about growing up, finding love, facing challenges, and learning from mistakes. (Official Release: Spring 2015)
Crown & Glory -6 -Song EP
Concept album - natural hair.
Crown's spare sound is something like the lost tapes of an unvarnished India.Arie, with its acoustic guitar and hand claps. - Creative Loafing | Charlotte, NC
Genesis - Full Length Album
Collection of up-beat jazzy pop songs exploring a fresh start.
Keep the Faith - Full Length Album.
Anitra's debut album acoustic driven soulful tunes - theme of encouragement.
Musical Style/Genre: Acoustic Soul - An organic popful blend of R&B, Poetry, and Soul
City of Origin: New Orleans, LA (currently based in Houston, TX)
Key Points of Interest:
• Musical Appearance on HGTV's Tiny House Hunters. Original Air Date May 1, 2017.
• Currently working on a fourth studio album, "Work in Progress" - an acoustic driven collection of stories and mishaps from childhood to adult-dom.
• Previously released three studio albums: Crown & Glory (2014), Genesis (2012), and Keep The Faith (2011)
• Featured in Charlotte's Creative Loafing Dec 2014
• Nominated for Best Singer-Songwriter of 2013 with Charlotte Music Awards
• Known for incorporating a mix of improv comedy, audience interaction, and motivational speaking within sets
• Music is often described as soulful, upbeat, whimsical with comparisons to India.Arie, Heather Headley, and Corrine Bailey Rae
• Has performed professionally since 2008 with extensive touring along the east coast, in the south, and mid-west in a variety of settings including churches, cafes, bars, parks, listening room venues, festivals, house concerts & private parties. (See calendar below for previous and upcoming shows
• Single "Today Is A Good Day" is featured in "A Prayer & A Pink Pedicure" by notable Charlotte Author, Lee McCracken
• Launched a bi-monthly Singer-Songwriters & Poets in the Round show in Charlotte, NC
• Was featured in Pride Magazine as an inspirational artist featuring her Single "On a Dime and a Dream". Publish date March/April 2013. Click here to go to the article.
REVIEWS & SHOWS
"Anitra Jay wowed my guests with her voice and guitar. Everybody was asking me where I found her. She is a great talent and was always gracious and polite and infectious with her charm. I will definitely have her play again, to a bigger crowd than before because now all my friends are asking me when she is coming back. Anitra is a gem, a real talent who absolutely makes a party."
-David N. (House Party - Charlotte, NC)
"Anitra Jay's music is a breath of fresh air. Neo-soul music with a gospel twist. The song, "My Red Shoes," is a hit."
-Charlotte Our City Radio
"We all thought you were amazing. You have a beautiful voice. Even my sound man asked where we found you and wanted your business card. Thank you so much for coming."
-Patty Hanson, Johns Creek Arts Festival - Johns Creek, GA